WLFS PTA (Parent Teacher Association)
Who are we?
The WLFS PTA (Parent Teacher Association) is a registered charity (number 1165365), whose aim is to create a strong and supportive school community by holding events and fundraising activities which include parents, carers, pupils and teachers. The impact of our work provides enrichment opportunities to our students, in particular the 38% who are from disadvantaged backgrounds.
What do we do?
There are currently 13 volunteer parent committee members, who meet once a month to organise a wide range of events to raise funds, as well as soliciting sponsorship and donations from corporations and foundations. We organise the annual Summer Fair, Raffles, Leavers’ Events for Years 11 & 13, Auction, Quiz Night and the Year 7 & 8 Disco/Movie Night; and also provide refreshments for Cabaret Nights, Musicals, Concerts, Art Exhibitions, School Plays and Sports Day.
All money raised enriches and supplements the education offering for our students and fills funding gaps. Heads of department submit funding requests which we agree upon.
Recycle, reuse, refresh, REJOICE!
We run an informal second-hand uniform ‘shop’, please see below for guidance:
- Parents are encouraged to donate clean school uniform that is in good condition - please hand in to the school office at any time.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and order the item required, size needed and name of the child who will be collecting it.
- Your child can collect orders from the school office and if the items fit, you are encouraged to donate through the ‘I heart PTA’ button on ParentPay. If not, just send them back to school. Suggested donations are £10 for blazers and sports jumpers, £5 for other sportswear. White shirts, grey jumpers and grey trousers/skirts are FREE!
Please note that our LIVE second-hand uniform sales this academic year will be at:
- the Year 7 Parents Evening on Thursday 12th January 2023,
- the Year 7 Welcome Parents Introduction Tea afternoon in June (tba),
- the Summer Fair on Friday 30th June 2023.
The new initiative this year is to recycle GCSE revision guides for our Year 11 students, which will be distributed by heads of department – THANK YOU to last year’s Year 11 students for bringing in their gently used booklets!
Upcoming PTA events
- Cabaret Nights – Thursday 2nd & Friday 3rd March 2023
- Founders Day and Easter Hamper raffle draw – Wednesday 29th March 2023
- Art Show – Friday 9th June 2023
- Year 7 Welcome and Introduction Tea Afternoon – tba June 2023
- Summer Fair – Friday 30th June 2023
The money raised last academic year 2021/22
The PTA raised around £13,000 last year and spent around £12,000. Thanks to a healthy
bank account inherited from previous years (sadly Covid lockdowns meant fewer things
to fund), we ended the year with a bank balance of £25,000. and have committed £12,000. to activities and projects for this academic year already, including: picnic benches for Palingswick House playground, the Year 12 History trip to Berlin and Year 10 PPI students to attend the Year 10-13 Choir trip to Germany. The English Department have organised theatre trips to see Dr Faustus and Othello for Years 12 & 13, To Kill a Mockingbird for Year 9, and Noughts and Crosses for Year 7. In October we agreed to fund a 6th form after-school Art Club.
What did we spend it on last year?
- basketball hoops for Palingswick House playground
- purchase of desktop computers for the Art Department
- laptops for pupils to use for home schooling
- supplies for the school libraries at both sites
- iPads for the Maths Department to enable class interaction
- framing of students’ artwork for display in Palingswick and Franklin Houses
- Geography field trip to Kenilworth Castle
- Theatre trip to see A Christmas Carol in November 2021
- Educational posters and frames for the 6th form Psychology classroom in Franklin House
- Year 11 & 13 Leavers’ BBQs at the Ten year Anniversary Family Fun Day
- Hire of an inflatable obstacle course for Ten year Anniversary Family Fun Day
- Sets and costumes for school production of Alice in Wonderland
- Trip for 6th form students to GMC Poetry Conference
- Reward trip for 15 x Year 8 students to the London Wetlands Centre
- Welcome/Team Building Event at Franklin House, led by new 6th form head
- Science Trips and workshops for all students during British Science Week in March 2022, which the PTA is co-funding with the KSFT (Knowledge Schools Foundation Trust)
- Pizzas for the 6th form Christmas Quiz
- Christmas trees for Palingswick and Franklin Houses
- Prize for 6th Form ‘highest house points’ winner
- Painting of corridors in Palingswick House
- Book vouchers for the Valerie John reading prize
- Visit by author Sarah Govett
- 6th form Wine & Cheese evening
- Summer drinks for all staff
- Y13 hoodies contribution
- GCSE hoodies
- Theatre trip to The Globe Theatre to see Julius Caesar
- Theatre trip to Richmond Theatre to see Animal Farm
- Amazon Gift cards for pupil rewards
- Pashminas for choir members
- Raffle contribution to Music Department
- ALL refreshments for students, teachers and adults at the WLFS Art Show
- Lavender plants and compost for Franklin House
- Plants and planters for Palingswick House
- Decorations, food and drinks for Year 11 Leavers’ Ceremony
- Decorations, food and drinks for Year 13 Graduation Celebration
- Easels for the Art Department
- Tents for Activities Week camping trips
- Part-funding of GSCE texts for the English Department
- Specialist piano movers to relocate gifted pianos to Palingswick and Franklin Houses
- Tokens for the Summer Fair for disadvantaged pupils
- Refreshments for the Year 7 Welcome & Introductory Tea
- Ice lollies for students and teachers at Sports Day
- Picnic benches for Palingswick House playground
- Key Stage 3 Textbooks for the History Department
- New library books
- Funding of annual author visit - Lisa Williamson
- End of year Staff drinks party
- Year 7 Transition books When the Sky Falls by Phil Earle
Committee Members 2022/23 (13)
- Chair: Zoe Ellinson (Year 9 & 12 parent)
- Treasurer: Fiona McQuillan (Year 7 & 9 parent)
- Secretary & Copywriter: Angela Ridgeon (Year 11 parent)
- Philippa Hanscombe (Year 10 & 13 parent)
- Julia Erdem (Year 10 & 12 parent)
- Vandana Mehra (Year 9 & 10 parent)
- Kristina Vedeike (Year 7 & 10 parent)
- Honor Mercer (Year 8 parent)
- Alexander Bezugly (Year 8 parent)
- Gizem Eren (Year 7 parent)
- Anabel Leibovic Farrar (Year 7 parent)
- Isabelle Magambo (Year 7 parent)
- Ainhoa Lorente (Year 7 parent)
PLEASE JOIN US!
We usually meet on the second Tuesday of the month at 7.30-8.30pm at the Thatched House pub on Dalling Road W6, with drinks afterwards from 8.30pm. All parents are welcome to attend!
We have an informal ‘community group’ of parents on WhatsApp, who like to attend PTA events and occasionally help out, so if you'd like to join - please email email@example.com for relevant links.
We continue to improve communication online with WhatsApp Year groups, so contact us if you wish to join your relevant year group, or follow us on Instagram @wlfs_pta or Facebook at Pta Wlfs.
Please register at Easyfundraising www.easyfundraising.org.uk and nominate the ‘WLFS PTA’ as your chosen charity. All retailers listed will donate a percentage of what you spend. Follow this link for directions:
A copy of our constitution can be accessed here.
Minutes September 2022 – AGM PTA Open Meeting 2022.