PTA (Parent Teacher Association)
Welcome to the new academic year 2021/22!
Who are we?
The WLFS PTA (Parent Teacher Association) is a registered charity (number 1165365), whose primary aim is to create a strong and supportive school community by holding events and fundraising activities which include parents, carers, pupils and teachers. The impact of our work provides enrichment opportunities to our students, in particular the 38% who are from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Committee Members 2021/22 (Currently 8)
Chair: Zoe Ellinson (Year 8 & 11 parent)
Treasurer: Sharon Robinson (Year 9, 11 & 13)
Secretary & Copywriter: Angela Ridgeon (Year 10 parent)
Second Hand Uniform Coordinator: Philippa Hanscombe (Year 9 & 12 parent)
Designer: Joanna Caron-Delion (Year 9 parent)
Julia Erdem (Year 9 & 11 parent)
Vandana Mehra (Year 8 & 9 parent)
Kristina Vedeike (Year 9 parent)
What do we do?
There are currently 8 volunteer committee members, who meet once a month to organise a wide range of events to raise funds, as well as soliciting sponsorship and donations from corporations and foundations. All money raised enriches and supplements the education offering for our students and fills funding gaps. Heads of department submit funding requests which we then manage, direct and control.
We also have an informal community group of parents on WhatsApp, who like to attend PTA events and occasionally help out. If you'd like to dip your toe into PTA activities or you’re thinking of joining the committee, this is a great way to get involved.
We organise the annual Summer Fair, Leavers Events for Year 11 & 13, Auction, Quiz Night and the Year 7 & 8 Disco/Movie Night. We also provide refreshments for Cabaret Nights, Musicals, Concerts, Art Exhibitions, School Plays and Sports Day.
We have also started to run an informal 2nd hand uniform ‘shop’. Parents are encouraged to donate clean second hand uniform that is in good condition at any time- your child can just hand it in at the school office. If you NEED uniform, you can email us at email@example.com with any requests, the size needed and name of the child who will be collecting it. Once a week, we check emails and your child can collect your ‘orders’ from the school office. If the items fit, you're encouraged to donate through the I Love PTA button on Parentpay. if not, just send them back to school Suggested donations are £10 for blazers and Sports jumpers, £5 for other sports gear and grey jumpers. White shirts and grey trousers/skirts are FREE.
Our recent fundraising activities include:
*In December 2020 our Christmas Raffle raised £2,300. for the Music Department 2022 Tour.
*In April 2021 we raised £11,000. with our online Auction.
*In September 2021 our second hand uniform sale raised £1,000.
*In September 2021 the display of Douglas & Gordon Estate Agent boards raised £1,200.
*In September 2021 our 10th Anniversary Family Fun Day took £350. with a raffle, refreshment sales and vintage shorts!
*In September 2021 our Cabaret Nights raised £1,000. through sales of drinks and snacks.
The money raised will be used for:
- basketball hoops for Palingswick House playground,
- purchase of desktop computers for the Art Department,
- laptops for pupils to use for home schooling,
- supplies for the school libraries at both sites,
- iPads for the Maths Department to enable class interaction,
- framing of students’ artwork for display in Palingswick and Franklin House,
- Geography field trip to Kenilworth Castle,
- Theatre trip to see A Christmas Carol in November 2021,
- Educational posters and frames for the Psychology classroom in sixth form,
- Year 11 & 13 Leavers’ BBQs at the Ten year Anniversary Family Fun Day,
- Hire of an inflatable obstacle course for Ten year Anniversary Family Fun Day,
- Sets and costumes for school production of Alice in Wonderland,
- Sets and costumes for upcoming school production of Wind in the Willows,
- Trip for sixth form students to GMC Poetry Conference,
- Reward trip for 15 Year 8 students to the London Wetlands Centre,
- Welcome/Team Building Event at Franklin, led by the new Head of Sixth Form,
- Science Trips and workshops for all students during British Science Week in March 2022, which the PTA is co-funding with the KSFT (Knowledge Schools Foundation Trust).
We would like to say a huge THANK YOU to all the lovely families for donating second hand uniform items to the school. The PTA were thrilled with the amount raised at our summer sale(£1000!) and delighted that we were able to kit out many Year 7s, as well as current pupils with uniform. Please continue to hand in any unwanted, clean uniform to the school office.
Upcoming PTA Events
Movie Night for Years 7 & 8, including refreshments, November/December - tba.
Quiz Night - Thursday 27th January 2022
Cabaret Nights – March 2022.
Summer Fair – Summer 2022.
Refreshments at The Art Exhibition - Summer 2022.
Refreshments at Sports Day - Summer 2022.
Refreshments at the Music Department Musical - Summer 2022.
PLEASE JOIN US!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your ideas and feedback or to say 'hello'
Follow us on Instagram @ptawlfs.
Please support us on Amazonsmile and Easyfundraising
We continue to build our community online with WhatsApp Year groups, so contact us if you wish to be added to your relevant year group, or to jump aboard the PTA Community Whatsapp group - from which we recruit volunteers and plan activities.
We meet on the second Tuesday of the month at 7.30-8.30pm at the Thatched House pub with drinks afterwards from 8.30pm. All parents are welcome to attend!
New Year 7 Parents
A copy of our constitution can be accessed here.
Minutes - Michaelmas PTA Open Meeting 2019
Minutes - Lent PTA Open Meeting 2020
- Minutes - PTA AGM and Open Meeting 2021